February 8, 2011

Teething Already?

Baby may have started teething at 15 weeks. She was fussing and was clearly tired, but not sleeping. I rocked her in the crook of my leg to put her to sleep around 8 pm. One hand on her head, one finger in her hand and usually a blanket over her head. (I'm slowly turning into my own parents). She wasn't having any of it. So I put her up on my shoulder to try to let some air out thinking it might be gas. Nope, she just head butted me in my nose and chin. Ouch. 


Next I tried singing the alphabet song as it is her favorite. It worked for a little while. She was blowing spit bubbles and drooling. A lot. It was kind of gross, actually. Then she must have remembered the pain because she started wailing with real tears. The tears got bigger and flowed more freely while the wailing increased in volume. She wasn't sobbing yet, just screaming. Loudly. Yikes!

She proceeded to shove her hands in her mouth which is mostly normal, but I'd never seen her try both at once and clamp down. I massaged her gums with my fingertips and that appeased her. For like a minute. More real tears and screaming. My kid's not a crier. 


I fetched the teething rings that have been waiting patiently in the freezer since the first of the year. They were a bit big, but the nubby plastic with ice inside seemed to soothe her little puffy gums. She was was quiet for a few minutes. Then back to wailing. Progress.


It's 11 pm and I'd done everything I knew how to do. At this point the only thing I could think of was to call my parents. As much as I didn't want to admit that I couldn't do something, I know when I need to ask for help. My dad answered and immediately offered to come over. She's just teething, no fever, no vomiting or anything scary like that. I just don't know how to get her to STOP CRYING! He woke up my mom who goes to bed at like 9. She asks if I've nursed, rocked her, sang to her, gave her a teething ring. I forget that I've just told my dad that we've done all this but apparently he didn't update her on the situation. I really just wanted to know how much Tylenol I can give her. Or should I call the doctor? She continues with massage, wet washcloth, or just talking to her since she might have missed me today, etc. My increased annoyance is  evident in my voice. Seriously? 


At this point, I've woken up Husband by yelling. (I'm downstairs, he's upstairs). My mom finally answers my question and I let her know that I will call back in a little while with an update. In the meantime, Husband found the drops and we gave her a tiny bit to hopefully reduce the pain for the night. She happily lapped up her cherry flavored medicine and calmed down. Fussing ensues, but at least it isn't crying. This might work!


I went back to singing and talking with her to calm her down. She was still fussing, so I nursed her for a few minutes. She fell asleep on her own! She woke up when I sneezed (did I mention I'm getting sick?) but fell back asleep and is generating that very snuggly baby heat. She's still sleeping in my lap as I type. Success!


I'm hoping she sleeps through the night. Thankfully I'm home for the next two days and not leaving the house. It's supposed to be below zero. Lots of orange juice for me and plenty of chilled chew toys for Baby.

1 comment:

  1. how's it going with the teething?
    you feeling better too? i've been battling off something sniffly myself.

    ReplyDelete